So far, there are 18 peer-reviewed publications on the Smokefree Class Competition.
The study conducted by Crone et al. is classified as number one study in the Cochrane review.
List of publications on SFC in peer reviewed journals:
- Hoeflmayr D, Hanewinkel R. Do school-based tobacco prevention programmes pay off? The cost-effectiveness of the “Smoke-free Class Competition”. Public Health 2008; 122(1): 34-41.
- Hanewinkel R, Wiborg G, Abdennbi K, Bollars C, Bowker S, Clemente MP et al. European Smokefree Class Competition: a measure to decrease smoking in youth. J Epidemiol Community Health 2007; 61(8):750. doi:10.1136/jech.2006.05722.
- Isensee B, Hanewinkel R. Effects of a repeated participation in the non-smoking competition “Be Smart – Don’t Start”. Sucht German Journal of Addiction Research and Practice 2007; 53(6):328-334 [German].
- Hanewinkel R. “Be smart–don’t start”. Results of a non-smoking competition in Germany 1997-2007. Gesundheitswesen 2007; 69(1):38-44 [German].
- Etter JF, Bouvier P. Some doubts about one of the largest smoking prevention programmes in Europe, the smokefree class competition. J Epidemiol Community Health 2006; 60(9):757-759.
- Schulze A, Potschke-Langer M, Edler L, Mons U. Smoke-free Class Competition: a reply to the initiators of the program. Prev Med 2006; 43(2):151-153.
- Hanewinkel R, Wiborg G, Isensee B, Nebot M, Vartiainen E. “Smoke-free Class Competition”: far-reaching conclusions based on weak data. Prev Med 2006; 43(2):150-151.
- Schulze A, Mons U, Edler L, Pï¿½tschke-Langer M. Lack of sustainable prevention effect of the “Smoke-Free Class Competition” on German pupils. Prev Med 2006; 42(1):33-39.
- Schmid H. Smokefree Class Competition in Switzerland: does it work with negative peer pressure? Psychol Health 2005; 20 (suppl 1):116-117.
- Josendal O. Smoke-free class competition may delay the onset of smoking in adolescence. Evid Based Healthc 2003; 7(1):18-19.
- Crone MR, Reijneveld SA, Willemsen MC, van Leerdam FJ, Spruijt RD, Sing RA. Prevention of smoking in adolescents with lower education: a school based intervention study. J Epidemiol Community Health 2003; 57(9):675-680.
- Hanewinkel R, Wiborg G. School-based smoking prevention: results of a prospective controlled trial. Special Issue Wilhelm Feuerlein Research Award 2003. Sucht German Journal of Addiction Research and Practice 2003; 49(6):333-341 [German].
- Hanewinkel R, Wiborg G. Diffusion of the non-smoking campaign “Be Smart-Don’t Start” between 1997 and 2003 in Germany. Gesundheitswesen 2003; 65(4):250-254 [German].
- Wiborg G, Hanewinkel R. Effectiveness of the “Smoke-Free Class Competition” in delaying the onset of smoking in adolescence. Prev Med 2002; 35(3):241-249.
- Wiborg G, Hanewinkel R, Kliche KO. Be smart-dont’ start” campaign to prevent children from starting to smoke: an analysis according to type of school they attend. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 2002; 127(9):430-436 [German].
- Hanewinkel R, Wiborg G. Primary and secondary prevention of smoking in adolescents: results of the campaign “Be Smart – Don’t Start”. Gesundheitswesen 2002; 64(8-9):492-498 [German].
- Wiborg G, Hanewinkel R. Conception and process evaluation of a school-based non-smoking competition. Sucht 2001; 47(1):25-32 [German].
- Hanewinkel R, Wiborg G, Paavola M, Vartiainen E. European smoke-free class competition. Tob Control 1998; 7(3):326.
- Vartiainen E, Saukko A, Paavola M, Vertio H. “No Smoking Class” competitions in Finland: their value in delaying the onset of smoking in adolescence. Health Promot Int 1996; 11(3):189-192.